Thursday 14 January 2010

Front brakes arrive

The wilwood brake kit arrived from rally design late last week so the snow days this week gave me plenty of time to get them sorted. The kit consists of the brake disc with the option of being drilled and grooved, the caliper and all brackets and bolts needed to fit it. I also ordered ally hubs from rally design a while back and new wheel bearings from tiger. This job was one of the more easier jobs on the car. The following link has scans from the cortina haynes manual for the torque values for the bolts and the process of the rebuild.

http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/downloads.htm

I had the bearing races fitted by my local garage to ensure there were in true. They also greased up the hub for me there. I had two packets of grease with the bearing kit so i thought i would use these to add more grease during the rebuild. Like a said a really staright forward job to carry out. I attached the uprights to the wishbones first and placed the hub and disc onto that rather than building the hub & upright then fitting the whole unit to the wishbones.

I have ordered new brake shoes for the rear of the car as well as new wheel cylinders. Fitting these will be the next little job. These were ordered from http://www.brakesint.co.uk/ . Next week is the trip up to tiger for a van load of parts. Other than that I have to decide on what wheels to order and sort the seats out. Heres a few photos of the brakes.



New brake disc

Wilwood 4 pot caliper

Hub with bearing in & greased

Disc bolted to the hub

On and complete

Upright ready for the hub and disc

Unit ready for the grease cap


Finished right hand side

No comments:

Post a Comment